White Stag Block Historical Timeline

Bickel Block Building Interior

1883

Bickel Block Building is designed by Justus Krumbein


1884

Willamette Tent and Awning Company is established by Henry Wemme


1889

Skidmore Block Building completed for Charles E. Sitton


1907

White Stag and Hirsch-Weiss Building is built on banks of Willamette River
Max and Leopold Hirsch purchase Willamette Tent and Awning Company


1910

White Stag and Hirsch-Weiss Building is moved across the street to its current location at Northwest Naito Parkway and West Burnside Street


1917

Hide Naito immigrates to Los Angeles


1920

Naito starts family business in Portland, which becomes Norcrest China Company


1925-26

Burnside Bridge is built and a portion of the building is removed to make way for an on-ramp. A fifth story is added to the building


1931

Harold Hirsch founds a sportswear division under the name "White Stag"


1940

A sign is built by Ramsey Signs for White Satin Sugar Company, which rents space on the roof


1950s

Fraser Paper Company buys the Bickel Block Building


1956

White Stag goes public and Hirsch-Weiss becomes a division of White Stag


1959

Sign is changed from "White Satin" to "White Stag"


1966

White Stag Building bought by Warnaco, Incorporated, an apparel and textile holding company


1970s

White Stag moves to larger quarters at Southeast 52nd and Harney Drive


1972

Naito family purchases the White Stag Building


1997

Lettering on the sign is changed from White Stag Sportswear to Made in Oregon Old Town


2004

Norcrest China Company wholesale division closed


2006

Building is purchased by White Stag Block, LLC, managed by Venerable Group, Incorporated
University of Oregon agrees to lease space in the building


2008

The University of Oregon marks the grand opening of the facility, featuring degree programs, hands-on opportunities in fields such as business, architecture, journalism, and product design, study-abroad opportunities, and community education offerings.