Resources are here to make sure you stay safe while at UO Portland, including security support, evacuation plans and organizations to call.
UO Alert Portland
The same system used on campus to communicate closure notices is also utilized at UO Portland. Register your cell phone to receive text alerts on DuckWeb. All Portland-based staff and students are automatically signed up to receive these alerts. Unfortunately, we are unable to opt out of UOAlerts for the Eugene campus, while still receiving UOAlerts for Portland.
In the case of an emergency evacuation, the assembly area for all staff and students is across Naito Parkway in the Japanese Memorial Park. Assembling at that location will ensure that everyone is out of the way of emergency equipment and allow for an accounting of all building occupants. There are one or more designated UO employees located on each floor, who are responsible for verifying that staff and students are out of the building in the case of an emergency. Please contact the administrative assistant for your school or department to find out who is designated on your floor.
- Walk, do not run.
- Evacuate the building by the nearest usable exit.
- Do not use elevators.
- Take personal belongings if possible.
- Secure any hazardous materials or equipment before leaving if possible.
- Assist persons with disabilities if possible.
The Portland Police Department’s WomenStrength group recommends the following reminders related to street safety.
People who are described as being street smart typically do two things:
- They make efforts to recognize and avoid potentially dangerous situations when they can.
- They leave dangerous situations they find themselves in before those situations escalate.
For more information, visit the WomenStrength site.
In case of emergency, call 911.